A new chemotherapy drug has been developed and it stopes the production of the
microtubules that are used to create the spindle fibers? Why is this an effective chemotherapy medication?
- It prevents meiosis so patients with cancer cannot pass on the disease
- It prevents cytokinesis, so new cells cannot form a tumor
- It prevents DNA replication during the S phase
- It prevents sister chromatids from pulling apart during anaphase of mitosis
Bacterial infections have become much more of a threat to human health due to which of the following?
- A an increase in acquired antibiotic resistance by innocuous strains
- B horizontal transfer of pathogenicity
- C an increased use of antibiotics, horizontal transfer of pathogenicity, and an increase in acquired antibiotic resistance by innocuous strains
- the increased use of antibiotics
- D an increased use of antibiotics coupled with an increase in acquired antibiotic resistance by innocuous strains
Linked genes generally do not follow the laws of independent assortment.
- are polygenic.
- show pleiotropy.
- reflect a pattern of codominance.
In mice, the gene for insulin-like growth factor is imprinted. During embryonic development, only the paternal allele for insulin-like growth factor is expressed. This means:
- that the paternal allele is hyper-methylated.
- that the maternal allele is expressed.
- that the paternal allele is mutated.
- that the maternal allele is imprinted.
- that the paternal allele is imprinted. (my guess)
Which of the following diseases is not caused by a mutation in a mitochondrial gene?
- Turner syndrome
- Leber’s Inherited Optic Neuropathy (LHON)
- secretion of lactic acid into the bloodstream: neurogenic muscle weakness
- myoclonic epilepsy
- cardiomyopathy (this is my guess)
Which of the following is FALSE of epigenetic inheritance?
- It affects the phenotype.
- It occurs during gamete or early embryonic formation.
- It may be passed on to offspring.
Mitosis results in the formation of two genetically identical daughter cells. This is because:
- after replication, the material is compared and corrected to be identical.
- the chromosomes pair up (synapse) in prophase as a counting mechanism.
- all the genetic material is duplicated then segregated equally to the daughter cells.
- daughter cells are initially haploid, but they duplicate their chromosomes to become diploid again.
- the number of chromosomes needs to be reduced before cytokinesis.
A horticulturist is breeding a new variety of houseplant in which two genes control leaf color. G (allele for green) is dominant to g (yellow) and B (second allele for green) is dominant to b (yellow). The recessive homozygous condition of either gene will mask a dominant allele. What color is a plant with the genotype Ggbb?